Friday, November 03, 2006

Where are we going?

So for the past week or so, this blog has turned into a "what am I doing for my wedding" posting area, much to my own chagrin. What this is meant to be is a place to sound off on everything, writing what I want to write about, that someone somewhere will probably be interested in reading about (aka not my own life).

Let's broaden the scope. You've heard of Bridezillas. You may have seen Bridezillas on the WE network (Womens' Entertainment, I assume?). You may have heard Bridezillas on the subway, in a restaurant, and definitely in a bridal salon. But the Bridezilla is a rare form of bride.

For the last week and a half or two weeks, I've gotten involved (to put it nicely) in the knot's message boards. If you don't know what the knot is, ask your girlfriend. She probably knows all about it.

Although I am the first among most my friends to get married, I've always thought of myself as sort of the antithesis of a Bridezilla - I'm pretty easy going, I hate tulle and bows, and Kevin would never let me boss him around (that much). Nothing has changed in that arena, thank goodness.

What I've discovered, however, is the kinder, gentler side of wedding planning. More than just fiancees bitching about planning, FMILs (Future Mother-In-Law), it's more like a support group for people going through the emotional ups and downs of wedding planning. And there are many.

The Orange County, California board, of which I am a fringe member of, has a core of 20 or so girls that go on regularly, network in other non-wedding ways, and plan GTGs (Get Togethers) every so often for all the other "knotties." And they hate drama. Just like me.

They help each other out through FMIL drama, vendor incompetencies, job hunts and long days at work. They are not expressly exclusive, although if one does spend enough time on there, they still may not feel like part of the fold. In addition to the die-hard knotties, there are numerous sometimes-posters and lurkers. I would fall into this second category, not for lack of time spent on the site, but for lack of knowledge of planning in general and unwillingness to insert myself fully into the lives of others I don't know (why would they care what I think? They don't know me. People who know me don't even care what I think.).

As my planning process begins to snowball (I bought paper in the proper color and weight to print sample Save the Dates and Invitations on yesterday), I will no doubt become more immersed, especially when I get back to the good ol' OC. I'm not a convert yet, but believe me, there's more to brides than you might think (although I think a woman is only a bride during the ceremony...before that it's fiancee and afterwards it's wife).

Lesson learned: don't knock it before you try it. People (and groups of people) will surprise you.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?