Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Only in New York

Since I've moved away from the college-kid dominated NYU-area, I've seen a lot more of the City (geographically and demographically) than I did last year. There are so many little occurrences daily that make me think, "only in New York would I see/hear what I just saw/heard." Here is a sampling.

A Tuesday afternoon, around 3 p.m., walking up Madison Avenue. One woman, with a school-aged child (in uniform), hurriedly walking past me. Another woman, walking the other direction. A paraphrase:
Woman 2: Hi! How are you?
Woman 1: Doing well. Just picking up my daughter from school. She goes to [insert highfalutin' academy name here].
Woman 2: How nice.
Chit chat and they part ways.

A Friday afternoon, around 4:30 p.m. Walking up Park Avenue. A man walks in the same direction as I, and on the other side of a street crossing are two women dressed in business suits, obviously friends.
Man: I was hoping I'd run into you two!
Women: How's it going?
Man: I have a job for you.
Women: Really?
Man: It's a medical malpractice case.
Women: Sure!

A Tuesday night, Donna Karan's studio space in the West Village. A charity event for medical research. A bleached-blonde jewelry-laden woman in a beige lace top and silver-tinged brocade pants. Bena and I sitting behind a table. Bena's mother (also B) close by.
Woman: B, I have a question.
B: Yes?
Woman: When does this silent auction thing end?
B: I'm not sure.
Woman: Well, a bunch of us have to catch the limo back to Jersey and were wondering what was going to happen to end the auction. Can you find out for me?
B: Sure, let me see what's going on.
Same woman was earlier dancing to the rock band, and later on left to catch her limo on the arm of her mobster-looking husband (and remember, they're headed back to Jersey).

A Wednesday morning, 6 train downtown. A little girl sitting on mother's lap speaking to a woman in business suit across the aisle.
Girl: Hi!
Woman: Hello!
Girl: Do you have any kids?
Woman: No, but I have a little niece. How old are you?
Girl: [thinks, counts, holds up a few fingers]
Woman: Three? My niece is four. Do you want to see a picture?
Girl: [nods]
Woman: [digs through large bag and finds a photo. kneels carefully in front of girl on moving train and shows a photo] See?

Just a sampling of things from this past week (it's pretty much constant, however). Don't you wish you were here?

Comments:
http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

:)
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?