Tuesday, October 31, 2006

November's Eve

What is it about November that we must celebrate its eve in as much festivity as Christmas Eve? The turning of the leaves, the flip flop of the weather (last week was in the low 50s and today it's suppose to be in the high 60s). Maybe its the warm smell of apple cider or hot tea while sitting in your heated, almost sauna-like city apartment.

Needless to say, I'm staying in today. Not since the Cowboys Cheerleaders costume of 2004 have I gotten into the spirit of Halloween. But I guess I stayed in that night too (the party was at our house). What memories. And how odd to think that just two years later everyone would be in such different places. I have such fond memories of college, and these are the people that made it what it was:

Cari, the beauty pagaent queen: I remember helping her measure her old high school dress before we found a royal purple prom dress at - was it a Marshalls or a Goodwill? - for what, $15?. A crown, ribbon sash, and mask of makeup later, we bowed to the queen.

Jet, the sexy cat: yes, but this was not your typical sexy cat. Cari made a homemade crop top tee and skirt of shiny black pleather. She bought the ears, and we gave her a cute ribbon to tie around her neck like a collar. So cute.

Bena, the devil: the only day of the year she was given permission to walk around with her bra fully exposed (mesh does not a shirt make). The Bena devil meant business, in her suit, and of course miss makeup extraordinaire looked hot (even while looking evil).

Calvin, the indian from the Village People: it's official - Cari and I do not know how to make mens pants. Poor Calvin. Good thing he wore boxers that day. At least the rest of the costume fit. Looked almost professional. heh heh.

Kevin, the sailor: In addition in failing at mens pants, I also cannot make mens shirts (Cari can). Velcro closure, anyone? Ha ha. Inspired by a sailers hat I found at the costume store, I decided to make his costume. Sorry, Kevin, it was so crappy, but at least you looked hot.

Amy. the Renaissance Faire girl: I'm sure there's a more accurate description of her costume, but I'm not sure what type of person from the Renaissance period she was. Amy actually participates in Renaissance Faires and made her own costume (so impressive). Complete with stabbing the inside of Preston's car window on her way home (note to all: don't let friends walk home when drunk even when they live across the street).

Christopher, the golf pro: Cheater cheater - he loves to golf, and I'm sure this is actually what he wears when he does. But it definitely brought some entertainment - he even taught Jetal a thing or two on the strip of grass next to our end unit.

Other costumes of the night: I think Patrick cheated, Armen still has our feather boa and showgirl hat, Joe got to wear eyeliner, Greg was a Crazy 8 (no fair - suit and mask?), Robert was the creepy guy in the corner, and what was Preston?

Fast forward to 2005, when I lived down the street from Greenwich Village's famed Halloween Parade and it was loud outside until all hours of the night (even on a Monday). Watched a little on my way back from work (they were in my way), but nothing special.

Today's plan? Get some errands done, perhaps do some work. Maybe I'll eat an extra bowl of ice cream for good measure.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?